I was spending time thinking about API discovery methodologies this afternoon (I know...I have issues), but with ProgrammableWeb approaching 8K public APIs, its a very real problem.
Currently, as an application developer, when I have an idea, I start by sketching what I want to build and set out to find all of the resources I will need to make it a reality. I pick my platform of choice and then set out to find other API resources I will need to bring my app to life.
I will need a database, user management and some analytics for my back-end, selecting a Backend as a Service (BaaS) provider like CloudMine or Kinvey. Next I need authentication and social integration with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn using Singly. After this I will have to piece together my application from a variety of individual APIs like Twilio, Urban Airship, Iron.io and many other APIs.
What if we flipped this on its head and reversed the process? As an application developer, I could publish a list of resources I need for my web or mobile app, and APIs could find me. I could just publish my need for image storage, facial recognition, location and other resources and API providers could find me.
It’s just a brain exercise to see if I’m missing anything. Maybe the problem we need to solve isn’t API discovery, it’s application discovery? Enable APIs to find developers, in addition to developers finding APIs.
|API Discovery, Developer Discovery|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- Salesforce Adds Sandbox Templates
- An Open Source Code Catalog for your API
- Multi-Tenancy with WSO2 API Manager
- Ember, Angular, Backbone, Single Page Applications and APIs
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?