HAPi Hack Weekend
08 Jun 2011
There is a hackathon going on this weekend in San Francisco over at the TokBox Offices.
HAPI Hack Weekend
has a pretty simple focus: Create cool new software using APIs.
The event starts Friday, 6/10 with participating APIs showcasing their companies, thenattendeescan then pitch ideas and form teams for building potential apps.
Attendees will spend the rest of the weekend hacking on their ideas, with the eventconcludingSunday afternoon with demo presentations, judging, and awards.
Detailed Schedule is:
- Friday, June 10
- 06:00pm - 07:00pm Registration
- 07:00pm - 07:15pm Kick-Off
- 07:15pm - 08:30pm API Overviews
- 08:30pm - 11:59pm Idea Pitches / Team Formation
- Saturday, June 11
- 09:00am - 11:59pm Hacking
- 10:00am - 03:00pm API Workshops
- Sunday, June 12
- 09:00am - 02:00pm Hacking
- 02:00pm - 03:30pm Demos
- 03:30pm - 04:00pm Judging
- 04:00pm - 04:30pm Awards / Wrap-Up
Each API company participating in the event will offer a prize for the best app that uses their API. Here is a list of the participating APIs including information about what the API does and what prize is offered for using it:
- TokBox - OpenTok is a free and flexible video streaming API for integrating live, group video chat in to your websites and mobile applications. ($750 Prize)
- PayPal - PayPal is an eBay company and is made up of three leading online payment services: the PayPal global payment service, the Payflow Gateway and Bill Me Later. The company's open payment platform, PayPal X, allows developers to build innovative payment applications on multiple platforms and devices. (Two $250 Prize)
- Foursquare - The foursquare APIv2 gives you access to all of the data used by the foursquare mobile applications, and, in some cases, even more. Integrate checking-in or viewing checkins into your application, build tools to help users use or visualize their own history, experiment with new ways of displaying badges, leverage our uniquely rich information about venues, or do things we haven't even thought of yet! ($250 Prize)
- Box.net - The Box Platform enables you to integrate our cloud storage and content management features into your application, allowing your users to easily access, manage, and share the content they create from anywhere. ($500 Prize)
- Twilio - Twilio provides a service for building scalable, reliable telephone and SMS apps via simple HTTP APIs. ($250 Prize)
- Mashery - Log-in to our open data commons of dozens of RESTful APIs, including Klout, Rdio, Rotten Tomatoes, Netflix, and more. Build better apps with the Mashery API Network. ($300 Prize)
- Genability - Our goal is to help make the energy grid more elastic. We believe that the electricity market needs pricing transparency. Our APIs provide simple access to complex and obscure power pricing structures. Power up your apps with comprehensive energy pricing! ($250 Prize)
- Factual - Factual, Inc. is an open data platform for application developers that leverages large scale aggregation and community exchange. We currently host datasets across a wide variety of topics, including local, education, health, and entertainment that you can access via our APIs or simple downloads. ($500 Prize)
I'll be heading over this weekend to see the action, you can still get a FREE ticket for HAPI at EventBrite