I don’t know if you saw the big news last week, but software publisher Axway announced intent to acquire API service provider Vordel. I’m not a big fan of covering funding, acquisition or launch press releases, unless there a significant business story there. But the acquisition of Vordel is another important sign for the API industry in 2012.
Financial terms of the deal haven’t been disclosed, but the acquisition shows the API industry is maturing and producing desirable companies with proven API products, that larger software companies can use as a competitive advantage. While Vordel's API management, SOA governance and identity management will help Axway’s customers, I think Vordel’s customers is probably the type of new client large software companies will want be also seeking out through acquisitions.
I always joke with John and Adam at ProgrammableWeb about, “Is this the year of the API”? They have been at it longer than I have, and are very hesitant to dub any particular year, the year of the API. But, with the growth we’ve seen in 2012, two open source API management platforms deployed and now a major acquisition in the space--I confidently would say 2012 is the year APIs came of age.
I predict in 2013-2015 we are going to see more of these types of acquisitions occuring. Large software companies are going to need a robust set of API tools to bring legacy systems into the modern, API driven economy. Companies that have invested in API management service providers like 3Scale and Mashape will see the return they are looking for, as the space continues to grow in the next five years.
|Acquisition, Axway, Vordel|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- Ember, Angular, Backbone, Single Page Applications and APIs
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government