I’m playing around with my Twitter Advertising account, trying to understand Twitter’s path to monetization. The Twitter Advertising interface is pretty clean and simple, allowing me to promote my account or tweets in four easy steps.
Step 1 - I can choose the locations where I want to reach users anywhere in the world, in specific countries only or in specific US cities:
Step 2 - I can promote my Twitter account prominently in the who to follow section to users that are most likely to be interested in my account--I only pay for new followers that I gain:
Step 3 - I can promote my Tweets, prominently displaying them to other users with similar interests:
Step 4 - Then plug in my credit cards to pay for the ad spend I setup for my promoted account or tweets:
Twitter Advertising is pretty straightforward. I wouldn’t call it anything revolutionary. But it is implemented simply, making it work for the masses. I could see businesses adopting it right alongside Google AdWords.
By itself Twitter Advertising makes sense, but when you step back and look at it in context of the rest what’s going on with the Twitter ecosystem, I wonder if they are seeing the big picture.
As a Twitter Advertiser will I be able to:
- Use the Twitter API to truly understand the space I’m advertising in? Track on patterns, opportunities and be able to get at the data I need to make my advertising successful? If I have to pay Gnip or DataSift for my business intelligence, it won’t work
- Have access to an API that gives me full access to the Twitter advertising resource? Allowing me to programmatically tailor my Twitter Advertising campaign
It just seems like to me that Twitter is seriously reducing the potential network effect by not including the Twitter API ecosystem in the Twitter Advertising program. Developers could help deliver innovation beyond just promoted accounts and tweets, extend the reach of advertising if they had more access to data via the Twitter APIs, optimize advertising campaign effectiveness with more API access as well as automate Twitter advertising with an API directly for the advertising platform.
|Monetization, Twitter, Twitter Advertising|
blog comments powered by Disqus
Latest Blog Posts
- APIs in DFW
- Adding API Broker Under Monitoring for API Aggregators
- The Dark Matter That Make APIs Work
- Potential for API Aggregators to Provide Valuable Industry Data
- My Talk Tomorrow Night at the Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup
- The White House Releases An Open Data Strategy
- When API Success Signals Begin Working Against You
- Get To Know Which Languages Your API Developers Are Using
- Twitters Developer Area is More Embeddable Than API
- Overview Of Backend as a Service (BaaS) White Paper
- Make Sure And Have Multiple KPIs For Your APIs
- API Enabled Toys For Our Children
- I Am Speaking At The Dallas-Forth Worth API Professionals Meetup May 14th
- How Much Do You Spend Attracting and Supporting Freemium API Developers?
- What Does The API Evangelist Do?
- Startups Need To Work Together on API Definitions
- Parse Is Successful By Truly Solving Problems for Mobile Developers
- API Commandment: Thou Shalt Not Forego Talking to a Person
- API Trends
- API Priorities
- Have You Taken A Look At AT&T APis Lately?
- Helping People Understand APIs Through Real World Examples
- Evolving Beyond API Service Providers and Tools to Goal Based API Toolkits
- APIs & The Federal Government
- After Last Couple of Weeks, It's Clear There Is Big Opportunity In The API Space